We visited the Heard Museum in Phoenix. It was really a neat place to learn about the American Indian in the Southwest, of their culture, traditions and arts. Living here for a few months in the summertime, it got us thinking of how the American Indian pioneers endured the scotching heat inhabiting in the desert back in those days."First Man and Woman" sculptures.
Beautifully crafted blankets, and woven bowls, and vases. All of the patterns were imagined in their minds and they just knitted them out as they went along. That's amazing.
This is the one I admired the most. How do you suppose to draw these perfect geometrical shapes with bare hands?

The design on this silver block reminds me of the Japanese animation Laputa: Castle in the Sky 天空の城 by Hayao Miyazaki. In the movie, the castle was made of square blocks, ancient drawings and signs were everywhere that resemble this. By the way, some of the best animations by Hayao are Totoro, Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind, and Laputa. Their music are also wonderful. I have been craving to watch them again since our visit to the museum, I particularly love the pure and righteous yet so stubborn characteristics of the main characters in those stories. I am glad that they are also becoming well known in the US lately.










2 comments:
That is beautiful work. I will be making that trip. Thanks for sharing! It was nice to spend some time with you Saturday. Thanks!
That looks like a great museum. How fun to see all of those hand-crafted pieces. Eli is such a cutie!! Those pictures of him kneeling are great!
Post a Comment