On Memorial Day we were invited to a pool party. We were just chatting, eating, and playing games. When we were about to wrap up, Eli decided to hopped back into the pool and no one noticed until he made the splash. (Maybe he slipped?) My friend who was standing the closest to him at the moment grabbed him from the water.
He was under the water for about 5 seconds, but he was such a trooper. He actually held his breath until he was being picked up (good thing Santino has been training him a little bit). He didn't panic or struggled and was just floating in the water like a watermelon standing vertically. According to other friends, his eyes were wide opened, too.
When I got him in my arms I felt horrible instantly, that I didn't watch him closely enough. I felt very blessed that he was perfectly fine. He didn't even get a single drop of water inside him. He was probably just a little bit shocked and so he was whining for just a little while. I held him so tight like I would never let him go again. When he finally calmed down he laid his head on my shoulder and held me back really tight also. I assured him that he was fine. And then...
He looked up at me while he was still in my arms, stared for a brief moment and then a big grin on his face, then followed by a series of violent slapping on both of my faces!
I think that was the happiest "being slapped" moment I have ever experienced in my life! I have no idea what was going through his little head but I was so happy when he slapped me. I was just happy that he was back and that was the reassurance that he was really fine.
I keep thinking about the moment when I saw him under the water. We could have been rushing to the emergency room, or worse. That evening after I put him down to go night night, I was so looking forward to the morning to see him again and hold him. I just learned a lesson to treasure every moment with people I love. I thank God that He allowed me to learn it that way, and not the hard way. And yeah, we really love Eli.
And here's Eli "treasuring every bite" on a Oreo cookie custard sandwich:
He was under the water for about 5 seconds, but he was such a trooper. He actually held his breath until he was being picked up (good thing Santino has been training him a little bit). He didn't panic or struggled and was just floating in the water like a watermelon standing vertically. According to other friends, his eyes were wide opened, too.
When I got him in my arms I felt horrible instantly, that I didn't watch him closely enough. I felt very blessed that he was perfectly fine. He didn't even get a single drop of water inside him. He was probably just a little bit shocked and so he was whining for just a little while. I held him so tight like I would never let him go again. When he finally calmed down he laid his head on my shoulder and held me back really tight also. I assured him that he was fine. And then...
He looked up at me while he was still in my arms, stared for a brief moment and then a big grin on his face, then followed by a series of violent slapping on both of my faces!
I think that was the happiest "being slapped" moment I have ever experienced in my life! I have no idea what was going through his little head but I was so happy when he slapped me. I was just happy that he was back and that was the reassurance that he was really fine.
I keep thinking about the moment when I saw him under the water. We could have been rushing to the emergency room, or worse. That evening after I put him down to go night night, I was so looking forward to the morning to see him again and hold him. I just learned a lesson to treasure every moment with people I love. I thank God that He allowed me to learn it that way, and not the hard way. And yeah, we really love Eli.
And here's Eli "treasuring every bite" on a Oreo cookie custard sandwich:

6 comments:
Thank goodness for a happy ending to this story! Reminds me of when little D snuck out of our house . . . . . so scary.
He really is priceless!
What a scary moment, I bet your heart just fell out of your chest when you saw him. Thank goodness he's ok, it's times like those that make us open our eyes and realize how we take little things for granted every day.
I think that is every moms worst nightmare. I'm impressed he could hold his breath. I love him chowing down on that oreo.
wow, polly, that is so scary. i'm so glad that eli was ok! how did santino teach him to hold his breath? i think that's something my kids really should know too because who knows when something like this could happen.
wow thats super scary! i'm glad eli was ok and he was brave!
Polly what a scary story. I'm so glad he is fine. Send Eli extra kisses from us:)
BTW Hanna is here with me pointing at Eli's pic repeting bebe. She doesn't realize she is younger than him:)
Post a Comment