Friday, July 23, 2010

winter in july

or not?

We were so excited to call up friends and relatives to come join us at the Zoo for this "Winter in July" last weekend. I think I was expecting a little bit too much... like they would make man-made snow throughout the park or something like that. But it turned out they were just putting piles of ice into a certain animal areas and one ground area for kids to play with. Oh well. We really enjoyed seeing some good friends though, besides the heat and super sweaty condition... it was all worth it!

(Be prepared to see all the messy hair pictures, I wasn't kidding when I said SWEATY.)

Eli with his cute little friend Brenden sitting bravely in front of a big lizard (statue).
Playing at the ice area with his buddy Mila.
... but he really didn't like the idea of playing with ice in the middle of hot summer.

An "extra large size" turtle coming towards us. We were amazed how slow it could get. We think the shell really slow it down.
And then we ran into a peacock thinking that he was so pretty himself and could get away with doing anything he wanted...
Like, trying to take Eli's snack (and of course Eli was guarding his with his life) but Eli just gave him a dirty look.
 Mila was more generous, she offered her drink instead.
Then we were off to learn how to milk some cow...
Then had more fun petting some goats.
Here's our prize and joy, sitting pretty in a clam shell like a pearl (when he gets his snack you are more likely to do anything with him... him and the peacock are totally the other way around):
Mila and Eli inside of the turtle shell sitting area
(since when he looks so mature?)

Eli and our cousin Brie, whom we got to hang out two weekends in a row. Yah! (Eli was playing shy in this picture.)
This is a rare one (a family picture... with me in it!)
What a "hot" trip!

6 comments:

Emily said...

That looks like a great zoo. Eli is looking soooo big to me. I love all is cute facial expressions. We're driving to cali. in a couple weeks for bens rotation. Maybe if we go through your neck of the woods we should meet up.

DNAgallows said...

We were so close to going...it just wasn't a good enough deal for a family of six!!! I am sad we missed you guys at the house. I am glad David had some entertainment and company while we were gone. Let us know if you see Emily...we would love to say hi!

Aika said...

Cute cute pictures! We had so much fun with you guys! I love the elephant family picture. Where in the world is that? I've been to the zoo millions of times and I have never seen the elephant or the oyster. Are we going to the same zoo? :)

santino, polly and little dude Eli said...

Aika, hmm, I am not too familiar with the zoo yet but I remember it's right next to the petting zoo area. We should go together again when the weather cool down!

Lee-Ruth-Clark-Cal-Shanna-Haley-Elden said...

That sounds like a fun outing...winter in July. I would have thought the same thing I think, with snow and all! But at least they had ice, right? Great family picture!

Katie Jean said...

what an adorable little family!