I found the Beuf Community Center, as I could see every car from the main road was pulling into that direction, and so, that must be the place. I was a couple of minutes late, the parking lot was full already. The frustrating voices through the microphone guided me perfectly to which direction I had to go for the meeting. I stepped inside the Multipurpose Room and found myself a standing spot at the back wall. For the first time I attended meetings like this, the councilwoman Thelda Williams was also there with the neighborhood to discuss the case. I had a prayer in my heart that I would be open minded and calm and be a listening ear.
This goes back to last Tuesday as I read a flyer which was distributed to the community (also online here) about their concerns of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints filing a rezoning request to build a Temple in our neighborhood. An uneasy feeling overcame me after I read the flyer and online about what these people are trying to tell the neighbors about it, because I felt that the information are misled.
So, back in the meeting: After sitting through the meeting about half an hour, I had gathered the ideas of those in opposition had 4 main concerns:
1. the size of the temple will block the neighbors' view of the surrounding mountains
2. the lighting will be too bright that will destroy their view of the dark sky and they will not be able to see the stars from their houses
3. the location to have the temple built will create traffic jams in the area that is already an issue
4. drainage issue
I was not surprised by those ideas, because I already read it online. They were obviously their main concerns because they were being told exactly word from word. Half way through the meeting, hearing what my neighbors had to say, I was perplexed and at the same time, felt a little bit funny, because I recalled when I once lived in a town with a temple, whenever I need a place to find some quiet moments to think, it was always the street down by the temple, because around the temple ground was always so quiet and peaceful. Also, when my family decided to leave the busy Hong Kong and move closer to us, they moved 3 times within 2 years, because my parents wanted to find a place where they would like to grow old, and they ended up to be right across the street behind the temple, because they said they wanted a home which is exactly opposite from back home: they want to be able to see a nice view of the valley from their windows, quiet and peace, and certainly don't want to deal with any traffic. . . they have been dealing with traffic every day all of their lives in Hong Kong. Yes, and they picked the house right behind the temple.
I came to the conclusion that they were so upset not because of the not-yet-existed temple in their neighborhood causing troubles in their life, however, it is the rumors that are creating angers and heartaches. I cannot imagine if I were in their boat, not knowing the facts, just hearing the information they had been fed, if I were one of them, I would certainly against to have a temple by my house also.
I disagreed with them because in reality, none of those problems had ever been caused by any LDS temples all over the world, this proposed Phoenix Arizona Temple in a roughly 4.5 acres land will obviously be a "mini-Temple" and not a 12-story "commercial building". The beautiful view of the valley will certainly still be available, not to mention that the gorgeous mountains are all around us in this neighborhood.
And as they spoke of the exterior lighting of the temple, they compared it to a lighthouse/beacon, and claiming the temple will be lighted with "high intensity floodlights". None of the small scale temples use such lighting. I also read the city planning application myself (link is also provided in their website) and it clearly stated that warm lighting will be used.
Our neighbors also complaint about the drawn traffic that will be caused by the constant wedding ceremonies and receptions that are held by the temple is also a false idea, although some members of the church did try to explain about the ceremonies would be held in small sessions and were distributed/spread out throughout the days and throughout the week, and 5 days a week, not 7 days a week. Only if they can understand what kind of wedding ceremonies are held in the temple, they are quiet ceremonies, and very reverent! They are not wedding parties with DJs, bands, microphones, . . . there are no receptions at the temple, period.
There are many many more things I wish to explain, but this is so lengthy already. . . all I can say is that only if they know the truth about the LDS temples. . . I felt sorry for their heartaches over things that are false. Find a friend or anyone they know who has ever lived by a temple, or even who has visited one, LDS or not, they would tell them the same things as I did. I just want to write this to hold some justice to the truth, and voice my thoughts. And if you are interested, read this article by President Gordon B. Hinckley on "Why These Temples?" which has really good insights on purpose of a temple. A temple can bring nothing but only goodness in one's life. That is the fact. What is your thought on this?
I came to the conclusion that they were so upset not because of the not-yet-existed temple in their neighborhood causing troubles in their life, however, it is the rumors that are creating angers and heartaches. I cannot imagine if I were in their boat, not knowing the facts, just hearing the information they had been fed, if I were one of them, I would certainly against to have a temple by my house also.
I disagreed with them because in reality, none of those problems had ever been caused by any LDS temples all over the world, this proposed Phoenix Arizona Temple in a roughly 4.5 acres land will obviously be a "mini-Temple" and not a 12-story "commercial building". The beautiful view of the valley will certainly still be available, not to mention that the gorgeous mountains are all around us in this neighborhood.
And as they spoke of the exterior lighting of the temple, they compared it to a lighthouse/beacon, and claiming the temple will be lighted with "high intensity floodlights". None of the small scale temples use such lighting. I also read the city planning application myself (link is also provided in their website) and it clearly stated that warm lighting will be used.
Our neighbors also complaint about the drawn traffic that will be caused by the constant wedding ceremonies and receptions that are held by the temple is also a false idea, although some members of the church did try to explain about the ceremonies would be held in small sessions and were distributed/spread out throughout the days and throughout the week, and 5 days a week, not 7 days a week. Only if they can understand what kind of wedding ceremonies are held in the temple, they are quiet ceremonies, and very reverent! They are not wedding parties with DJs, bands, microphones, . . . there are no receptions at the temple, period.
There are many many more things I wish to explain, but this is so lengthy already. . . all I can say is that only if they know the truth about the LDS temples. . . I felt sorry for their heartaches over things that are false. Find a friend or anyone they know who has ever lived by a temple, or even who has visited one, LDS or not, they would tell them the same things as I did. I just want to write this to hold some justice to the truth, and voice my thoughts. And if you are interested, read this article by President Gordon B. Hinckley on "Why These Temples?" which has really good insights on purpose of a temple. A temple can bring nothing but only goodness in one's life. That is the fact. What is your thought on this?
5 comments:
How lucky that the temple is going to be built in your neighborhood! What a blessing! I know that there are a lot of opposition to building it in the area, but isn't that always the case. Like you said, if they only new the peace that you feel in the temple, they would change their minds. BTW, kind of a random subject, I heard that if a temple is built in your area, the property value goes up. So that's another bonus for a non-LDS person. :)
Thanks Aika for your comment on this. This post means so much to me, I seriously have been thinking about this issue all week long. You are right, we feel so bless that it is going to be so close.
p.s. yes, a few people had mentioned about the property value goes up and for some reason they still got bullying after that comment. I guess they don't want it that way neither...?
Polly, I am glad you were able to attend. What an exciting time for the area. If there are anymore meetings, I would love to attend...if everything else falls into place. Keep me posted...the news was not very informative. You are a powerful example!
That is too bad that they are putting things out of proportion--like mixing up the facts of the flood lights and the receptions. Crazy. Good job going to the meeting! Hopefully "they" will get the real facts, instead of going with the crowd. Sorry about the egg explosion and that is funny about the pregnancy stuff!!!
Amanda, I think they have another neighborhood meeting in the middle of next month, I will let you know. I think their website has info about it too, I need to check that out.
Ruth, yeah, I really got so much hope that some neighbors would happened to search online and come to my blog... well, probably not, oh well.
Post a Comment